According to the U.S. Department of Energy, about half of the energy you’ll use for your Annapolis home throughout the summer will go toward keeping your home cool. In the midst of extreme summer temperatures, keeping your home comfortable while keeping a handle on your utility bills can be difficult. Here are a few tips that can help you reduce cooling costs while beating the heat.
How to Reduce Cooling Costs
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat – By adding a programmable thermostat to your HVAC system, you could save 10 percent or more on heating and cooling costs throughout the year.
- Supplement your cooling power with ceiling fans – Instead of relying solely on your air conditioner, you can easily reduce cooling costs with the help of ceiling fans. When properly set, ceiling fans deliver a wind chill effect that allows you to lower your thermostat settings by as much as 4 degrees without negatively impacting your overall comfort.
- Seal and insulate air ducts – As much as 30 percent of all cooling energy losses come from duct leakages. Sealed and insulated ductwork suffers fewer energy losses while maximizing your overall comfort.
- Consider using heat-blocking window coverings – Energy-efficient window coverings are capable of letting natural light through while blocking solar heat gain that contributes to higher indoor temperatures and increased cooling effort.
- Try a little outdoor grilling – Cooking with stoves and ovens creates heat. On hot days, you might want to consider grilling your food outdoors instead of cooking indoors.
- Replace outdated appliances with Energy Star-certified equipment – If your HVAC system is overdue for a replacement, make an energy-efficient Energy Star-labeled unit a replacement candidate.
Learn more about how to reduce cooling costs, and about Coastal Heating & Air’s cooling solutions, or contact us at 410-919-0110 to schedule an appointment for your Annapolis home.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com