Many residents of Davidsonville, Maryland, experience the effects of allergy triggers that lurk inside their homes. The unfortunate reality is that common allergens exist in the home year-round, but there are some steps you can take to eliminate them. You don’t have to dread being inside your home as there is a lot you can do to keep allergy triggers at bay.
This pollutant is perhaps the most common indoor allergen. It consists of skin cells, pet hair or feathers, dust mites, plant pollen, fibers, and other materials. People with dust allergies suffer the most indoors, often with the symptoms becoming worse after cleaning when the dust particles have been agitated.
In order to keep your dust allergy in check it is important to reduce your home’s humidity levels, keep your HVAC filters clean, and use mite-proof mattress and pillow covers. You can also alleviate symptoms by using an air cleaner that uses a HEPA filter.
Pet dander is another common indoor allergen. In some cases, an individual might be more allergic to a particular type of breed or animal than others. Pet dander itself is the dead skin that is shed by dogs and cats that is left on surfaces throughout your home. It can be stirred up when cleaning and carried on clothing, or settle into bedding or furniture.
Bathe and groom your pets regularly. It is also a good idea to invest in a quality air purifier or equally effective indoor air quality product.
Mold and mildew thrive in warm, humid environments. Mildew or mold shows up in your shower or other damp areas. Using exhaust fans in kitchens when cooking and in bathrooms when bathing, can help to alleviate this problem.
Hives, coughing, itchiness, and watery eyes, are typical reactions to mold exposure. Proximity to mold or mold spores can cause people with asthma to experience wheezing and difficulty breathing. A whole-home dehumidifier can help eliminate this common allergen.
Contact Coastal Heating & Air at 410-919-0110 today to learn more about our indoor air quality products and services. We’ll have your family breathing easier in no time.
Image provided by Shutterstock